[BBLISA] Looking for a sponsor for January 10th talk

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Mon Nov 27 10:04:18 EST 2006

Hi all:

I notice from the website nothing is scheduled for January.  I will be
in the NE area during the week of January 10th and would be happy to
do a presentation on some stuff I am currently working on.

The blurb for the talk is:

               Nagios and SEC a happy (re-)union

  Nagios <http://www.nagios.org> is a leading open source
  service/network monitoring solution. Sec
  <http://www.estpak.ee/~risto/sec/> is an open source correlation
  engine. Recently the speaker has been working at linking the two
  bringing some much needed features for nagios users.

  This talk will act as a primer for people interested in network and
  log monitoring using Nagios and SEC. It will point out places where
  SEC integration improves the ability of Nagios to recognize root
  causes and respond more appropriately to monitored events.

  Use cases for this integration will be demonstrated and discussed.
  In addition configuring services in Nagios to use the SEC
  integration patch will be explained.

However I need a shepherd to set things up (room ...). Also is wifi or
a hard wired Ethernet/Internet connection available so I can use a live
test nagios setup for the demo.

If this talk doesn't sound interesting I can also cover the following
topics:

   TKwatcher - a framework for automatically monitoring your systems using
               command line tools. <http://www.cs.umb.edu/~rouilj/#tkwatcher>

   Real-time log file analysis using the Simple Event Correlator (SEC) -
      <http://www.cs.umb.edu/~rouilj/#sec> this is a repeat of my LISA
      2004 paper presentation with some updated information.

   To build a sysadmin tracker - a discussion of modifying the roundup
      issue tracker <http://roundup.sourceforge.net/> for a system
      administration support role. (Sadly the software that I produced
      is no longer compatible with the currently 1.3 series of roundup
      however the ideas behind it are still useful in evaluating trouble
      ticketing solutions.)

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard