[BBLISA] Dell/other Linux-raid-NFS-server, ready for primetime?

Eddy Harvey bblisa2 at nedharvey.com
Thu Nov 9 15:16:39 EST 2006

I have a fair amount of experience supplying data to engineers on their
engineering systems.  Sometimes NAS, sometimes DAS.  Sometimes SAN.

This is what I found - About 3 years ago, I bought a linux machine with 1TB
storage, plugged it into the GB ether.  Started sharing NFS.  I found that
NFS itself adds about 50-90% overhead.  Severely killing throughput compared
to DAS or SAN.  I found that the Linux kernel (out of the box) handled NFS
well as long as it was reasonable demand.  But the engineers of course use
every system at maximum throttle.  The kernel would frequently (once a week
or so) suffer some kind of buffer overflow, and halt or reboot.  (yikes!)
So the linux kernel needed some tweaking.

I got a company (forget their name now) that layered on extra software to
make it more stable.  They were able to add on an $8k software product that
made the system faster and more stable.  But the amount of work to set up,
the total end cost, and blah blah ... Made the whole system a bad decision
in retrospect.

I had a netapp.  Obviously worked like a champ.  Fast, reliable, swiss army
knife.  But the pricetag, oh the pricetag.

All of this is still limited to 1Gb due to the ether.  (Well, of course,
unless you have a 10Gb switch.)

At present, I do this - I have the core apps, tools, sitting on an NFS
share, on Gb ether.  I give each machine a non-backed up /scratch area,
which is DAS.  This seems ideal.  You get the 3Gb performance and
hassle-less, low-overhead of DAS, which is cheap.  You get the core tools
backed up.  You tell the engineers to store their source code on the NFS
share (to be backed up) and store their simulation results on /scratch.

So far so good. I think it's a winning combination.