[BBLISA] High speed internet in Kendall Sq

Nathan Faust nfaust at merchantwarehouse.com
Fri Jun 30 11:18:18 EDT 2006

Eddy,

Your building looks like it is serviced by Cogent Communications.
They offer 100mb or 1Gb fiber to the office.
This will blow the sox off any T1 you have.

I had their service when I worked at 1 Main St, Cambridge and found it
fast and reliable.
The tech draped fiber from the floor wiring closet to my server room.
In the server room, you can patch directly into a router or use a fiber
to copper converter (which is what I did).  The copper Cat5e went into
my border router and then firewall.

I hope this helps.
Since I left that company, I don't have the information for my contact
anymore.

http://www.cogentco.com/htdocs/dedicated.php - City - Boston, MA
To re-verify that your building is on the "on-network" list.

List of services.
http://www.cogentco.com/htdocs/internet.php?current=1

Dedicated Internet Access Services

On Net Services

Cogent's On Net services can only be compared to the wide open road. We
offer pure bandwidth, unhindered by traffic bottlenecks caused by
over-subscription. With more capacity than any other IP network in the
world, traffic literally races across our network at the speed of light.

All On Net services are dedicated and non-oversubscribed. On Net
services are available in over 1,000 buildings across North America and
Europe.

Product Features:

FULL SLA: Our SLA guarantees 99.99% network availability, 99.9% packet
delivery, less than 50 milliseconds roundtrip latency and proactive
outage notification within 15 minutes.

RAPID INSTALLATION: Your service will be installed in 17 days or
less-guaranteed. Most service installations average just 8 days.

CUSTOMER SUPPORT: Technical expertise is just a phone call away 24 hours
a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

SIMPLE HANDOFF: No special wiring. No disruptions. No delays. All it
takes to get connected is a Category 5 cable or cross connect plugged
into your existing LAN or equipment.

EASY-TO-UNDERSTAND BILLING: Products are billed on a single sheet of
paper with a single line item. Flat rate or burstable billing available.

NO LONG TERM COMMITMENTS: You can stay with us as long as you like, but
we don't require multi-year commitments as part of our great prices.

Product Types:

Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps): Our flagship product. Price competitive with a
T1, but 65 times more bandwidth. This service has fundamentally changed
the business and productivity levels of our customers. You can afford
more bandwidth than you ever thought possible. And with 100 Mbps
guaranteed 100 percent of the time, you can run the applications you
want when and how you want them.

GigE (1,000 Mbps): A favorite among our Enterprise customers and the
NetCentric crowd. Our GigE connection provides all of the advantages of
Fast Ethernet, just multiplied by 10! Cogent's GigE service gives you
all the bandwidth you need. You can take it all at once, or burst until
your business grows.

Fiber500 (500 kbps): Popular for offices with just a few people,
Fiber500 competes with business DSL pricing but far exceeds it in
quality and reliability. Why connect over copper when you can have
fiber?

Cogent is Smart Business Internet

Contact us today or Call 1-877-875-4432.

Nathan Faust
Systems Administrator
Merchant Warehouse
55 Court Street, 3rd Floor