[BBLISA] iSCSI - opinions / experiences?

Adam S. Moskowitz adamm at menlo.com
Thu Jun 15 09:04:58 EDT 2006

Steve Revilak <srevilak at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I guess my biggest question is whether [iSCSI is] a viable alternative
> for NFS/CIFS.

You're comparing apples and oranges: NFS and CIFS are file sharing
protocols that offer *file* access; iSCSI is a disk access protocol that
offers *block* access. There is no sharing built into iSCSI.

Think of it this way: NFS runs between two computers, but iSCSI runs
between one computer and its disks.

Or think of it this way: iSCSI is just a REALLY LONG cable between the
CPU and disk.

So no, iSCSI is not a replacement for NFS of CIFS.

AdamM