[BBLISA] How would you address this?

Michael Tiernan michael.tiernan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:13:18 EST 2006

On 2/18/06, Michael Tiernan <michael.tiernan at gmail.com> wrote:
> This whole thing started with:
>    My vendor says "For security reasons, the license file must be in
> /opt/FOOFOO_license

I figured I'd share the response with y'all.

Dear Michael Tiernan,

I totally understand your concern about the current limitation of the
License File. It is true that our decision to fix the storage location
of the license file may not fit into your company policy. It would
definitely help if the user had control over the location of this file
and I agree 100% with you on this.

Unfortunately, with the current implementation of our licensing
system, the license file location is fixed. We apologize for being
vague in our earlier responses about the security feature. The current
implementation prevents users from making multiple copies of the
license files and being served by independent servers from the same
machine.

Other notes with respect to License Administration:
- The License file itself is encrypted and tied to the machine where
it resides. So people trying to copy these files over to different
machines will realize that this will not work.
- The ADMIN_AUTH and USER_AUTH files allow total control over who can
administer the licenses as well as who can use them.

Now, all this does not mean that the we cannot improve our licensing
system code to reflect certain user-requested changes. Your excellent
suggestion will only help to make our software better. For the same
reason, I have created a Suggestion report in our database.

This suggestion has been entered into our suggestion database as follows
[...]

Nope, they still don't see it as a bug...

If it weren't so annoying it'd be funny.