[BBLISA] How would you address this?

Adam S. Moskowitz adamm at menlo.com
Fri Feb 17 15:58:47 EST 2006

Normally I'd respond to such a question privately, but given the two
rather less-than-helpful replies you've gotten so far, I'll respond
publically -- if only to try to raise the level of professionalism a
bit.

> Vendor says:
> . . .
> So, what logic do you throw back at them?

First off, ignore their claim of "for security reasons"; it's just not
worth your time to argue with them.

Next, ask them if this can be changed via some configuration mechanism.
Maybe tell them such file locations conflict with other policies or
procedures at your site and ask how they can address that issue. If they
say the file locations are fixed, ask them if you can use symbolic
links.

Before you go any further, you need to determine whether the vendor will
even consider changing the file locations, or modifying their config
mechanisms to allow you to specify locations of your choice. If they
aren't going to change their software, then you need to re-evaluate your
decision to use their software. If you still conclude that their
software is the best (or maybe even only) choice, then you're stuck.

You might *suggest* to them that a bit more flexibility on stuff like
this would be good, you should also ask yourself why it matters so much
to you where the files are stored. Is it really because it conflicts
with other stuff? Does it actually cause you problems during upgrades or
migrations? Or do you just find it esthetically unappealing?

Again, if there are good reasons for not wanting the files there, then
maybe that affects your decision to use that software. *OR* maybe it
means that you need to reconsider how you manage upgrades and the like
(or whatever it is that prevents you from installing the files in those
locations).

Please note that I am *NOT* saying you don't have good reasons for not
wanting the files there. Also, I *DO NOT* care what your reasons are.
I am simply giving you a possible method for handling the situation and
giving you some of the questions you need to ask to make your decision.

AdamM