[BBLISA] Enterprise user account naming standards?

Adam S. Moskowitz adamm at menlo.com
Thu Feb 16 19:45:05 EST 2006

"Eddy Harvey" <bblisa at nedharvey.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason you need 8 chars or less?

Yes: POSIX notwithstanding, there is just too much software that will
choke on usernames longer than eight characters. This shouldn't be true,
and maybe you're lucky enough that it's not true for you, but I'm not
willing to take a chance with longer usernames because I *KNOW* I'll
have to change it down the line.

>The important thing to enforce is password complexity.

To a point: Studies have shown that too much complexity and the user
swill simply write their passwords on slips of paper (and probably keep
them close to their keyboards).

AdamM