[BBLISA] Guidelines for giving full root access to DBAs

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 15:49:09 EDT 2006

I just had to comment here because my experience has been completely
the opposite from Dean's.

A "Dev" system is one where development is done, and for me that means
a very specific environment - from kernel params being set right all
the way up to exactly which version & patch of all databases that are
installed.  Everything is tightly controlled and keeping the systems
properly configured is essential.  But we are a hard-core C++ shop,
across 5+ OSs.

We definitely do not use systems that are generic boxes.  They aren't
usually backed up (only critical development data is) but how they are
configured is well understood and monitored automatically so they can
be rebuild if necessary.

I would absolutely not want a DBA to have full root on one of my
systems.  I would be very afraid of one installing a required patch
that also effected a system library and therefor effected the product
in a subtle way.  Our product beats the c*rp out of systems and we
care very much what the system setup is.  We can't have all patches
applies to a system, to the point that we have not installed some that
we felt we should probably have (not security related) but didn't feel
the risk was worth it.

Dean's description might fit his environment, and I could see that a
DBA having root in that setting wouldn't be as much of an issue.  But
in many places that I have worked keeping a tight control on dev boxes
is absolutely required.

I had sent a message directly to Sharon when she initially posted
this.  I basically agreed with Jason's comments.  IMO - If the DBAs
want full control over the system, then I think she should wash her
hands of those systems and be responsible for as little as possible on
them (like say backup and restore of the important bits.)  If she
can't control that things are done reasonable, then she shouldn't be
responsible for fixing them (she should be available to *help* fix
them, but that is different than being responsible.)  Politically this
might be impossible... but it is what I would push for.

Eric