[BBLISA] bblisa Digest, Vol 33, Issue 2

stephen wadlow sgw at wadlow.net
Wed Aug 9 14:29:28 EDT 2006

On Aug 9, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Larry Beaulieu wrote:

>> Internap and Level 3 facilities I 've goten some decent feedback
>> from would
>> be customers of mine.  On L3, you are sitting into a fiber rich
>> area ( Bent
>> Stree ).  Power wise, it's so and so.  While working for Network
>> Plus in
>> 1999, we experienced a serious power outage there that took down
>> our CO,
>> then at 73 or 75 Bent Street.
>
> 	The Level 3 facility @ 300 Bent had its own battery-backed DC plant
> 	(w/generator) that fed a N+1 UPS config for AC power. You didn't have
> 	that in the 4000 sq ft you leased from the landlord @ 75 Bent.

I seem to recall that they have a few generators, and a well-
engineered power system.
When I toured the site a few months ago, They seemed to have put a
lot of effort into
a solid power setup.   So much so that buying redundant power feeds
into the cabinet
didn't seem as necessary as it does in other locations.

The power outage in 1999 (?) took out a large amount of the cambridge
grid.   I had power
in Porter, but the lights went dark just around harvard square and
continued on through
to East Cambridge.   All of MIT and Harvard were out.   An NStar
worker was killed in the
manhole cover explosion in Kendall, not far from Bent street.   My
recollection is that it was
a good 8-10 hours before power was fully restored.    It wasn't a
pretty situation.

						steve