[BBLISA] DDS Tape Erasure/Destruction Services?

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Wed Apr 19 00:08:22 EDT 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 05:08:50PM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> I have dozens of DDS and DDS2 tapes which I used to use for backups of my
> old personal server.  I'd like to get rid of all of them, but they still
> have data on there that I'd prefer not to let other people have access to.
>
> Alternately, is disassembling/smashing the tapes considered "good enough"?
> I really don't think people are going to be going after my tapes in my
> trash, but ...

Thanks for the suggestions folks!  I ended up disassembling the tapes
(each was held together by 4 small screws), then using shears to cut
through the actual tape.  It doesn't guarantee that no one will be able
to read the data, but I think it'd be way more work than it's worth for
someone to try dealing with.

Theo Van Dinter, tvd at bblisa.org/felicity at kluge.net
Systems Administrator, bblisa.org/kluge.net