[BBLISA] DDS Tape Erasure/Destruction Services?

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Tue Apr 18 09:34:48 EDT 2006

My preferred method of destruction of tapes is to crack the case open (a
vise helps a lot with that part, although hammer-on-concrete works quickly
and easily also), take out the tape reel, saw the reel in half (again use
a vise to hold the reel) and shuffle the resulting 2" bits of tape.  It's
not perfect, but in my case, the data retrieval would cost vastly more
than the resulting data.

It takes about 5 minutes per tape, maybe less, if you use a vise, although
having said that, I've got dozens of tapes, floppies & hard drives, too,
so if anybody does know of a company that does data destruction of mixed
media cheaply, I'd be interested, too.  I ran a Google search about a
month ago and found nothing that looked both reliable and even close to
inexpensive.

Perhaps we could have a BBLISA data destruction party.

Dave