[BBLISA] Re: RHEL and Windows simultaneously?

Eddy Harvey bblisa at nedharvey.com
Wed Apr 12 09:40:13 EDT 2006

If you don't want to reinstall windows when you switch over to using vmware
--

I can't tell you definitively if it's possible or impossible, but I can tell
you a few facts on the matter.

If the virtual computer emulates hardware that's very similar to your
existing hardware, you can probably deal with it pretty easy.  Uninstall and
reinstall a network driver and a sound card driver, and a hundred other
drivers, and everything ends up working.  You might want to look into
Microsoft's "sysprep" tool, which is meant to prepare a windows installation
for transition over to a completely different set of hardware.

If instead, there's a fundamental difference in bootime hardware, then
sysprep is your only hope.  For example, if you have a hyperthreaded cpu or
dualcore cpu, and vmware emulates a single processor - then there's
absolutely no way around it, your windows installation must use a different
HAL, and therefore sysprep or reinstall.  Likewise, if you boot from ata and
your new installation is sata.  Sysprep or reinstall.  You essentially can't
change the type of processor, or hard drive, and if you do, your choices are
sysprep or reinstall.

Remember to double the memory in your system.  *Each* os wants 512.  Your
computer will become a dog if you don't.