[BBLISA] RHEL and Windows simultaneously?

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Wed Apr 12 08:34:53 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I currently have my system booting Windows XP installed on a 40 Gig IDE
> drive.  I'm going to add an 80 Gig IDE drive to the system, and plan to
> RHEL on it.   I'd ultimately like to make RH the primary OS and be able to
> boot the existing installation of XP in a window within RH (not
> dual-boot).
>
> I presume there is a program within RH or the Linux world to permit this?
>
> I initially thought of VMWare, but that is a self-contained
> software computer.

You have three options, two of which yo have already dismissed and the
third isn't attractive either:

1) dual boot
2) a virtual machine, such as VMWare
3) an emulator, such as WINE.

I don't know why you are against VMWare. It works well. It works a lot
better than WINE does, because WINE isn't guaranteed to your your windows
software at all, and in many cases requires tweaking a per-application
configuration file.