[BBLISA] Help setting up NIS (or alternative to NIS.)

Kevin Ruderman rudi at bu.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:22:30 EDT 2005

You can also run 'makedbm -u dbm-filename' to extract all the key/data pairs.

Using ypcat, as mentioned previously, is cleaner but this method has the
advantage of working even if the server(s) are down. Note that you do get
"key (space) data" pairs AND the two special key entries YP_LAST_MODIFIED and
YP_MASTER_NAME this way too.

You can also run this to recover data from a DBM map on the master server
after a crash, when you find your source file got trashed, and you know you
have a bunch of updates in there past even the most recent backup that is
only a few hours old (now how would I know that...).

Kevin
Information Technology    Boston University    rudi at bu.edu