[BBLISA] Help setting up NIS (or alternative to NIS.)

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Tue Sep 20 21:07:29 EDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 08:55:53PM -0400, Eddy Harvey wrote:
> For example, suppose the master loses its hard drive completely.  And
> the slave starts taking all the traffic.  And then I decide to add a new
> user.  Well, I no longer have the /etc/passwd file that the master was
> serving, and all those other files.  So how, then, could I run make from
> /var/yp?  It seems to me that I'd be up the creek.

Hrm.  You should always have a good set of backups? ;)

In an absolute disaster (your backups don't work either), you can usually
generate the source files from the maps if necessary.

But in your example, you can't really make changes without the master, so
you'd have to either restore it and then go forward, or upgrade a slave to be
a master and push that new config out, then go forward.

Theo Van Dinter, tvd at bblisa.org/felicity at kluge.net
Systems Administrator, bblisa.org/kluge.net