[BBLISA] Help setting up NIS (or alternative to NIS.)

Eddy Harvey masmojo at nedharvey.com
Tue Sep 20 20:55:53 EDT 2005

Hey all y'all.

I know how to configure a nis master and a nis slave, so if the master
goes down, the slave will take over the traffic.  But I'm afraid of what
happens if the master catches fire.  Because the slave only answers
queries, it doesn't keep a copy of its own files, I have no way to pick
up the pieces and move on, if the master suffers a catastrophic failure.

For example, suppose the master loses its hard drive completely.  And
the slave starts taking all the traffic.  And then I decide to add a new
user.  Well, I no longer have the /etc/passwd file that the master was
serving, and all those other files.  So how, then, could I run make from
/var/yp?  It seems to me that I'd be up the creek.

Anybody have any good suggestions to help me with my reliability fears?

Thanks in advance....