wikis (was Re: [BBLISA] Suggestions for a documentation system)

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Oct 21 09:48:38 EDT 2005

The only problem I have with most Wiki's is that web browsers *suck*
for editing any amount of text over 1 line.  Really.  Especially since
I've got emacs (and to a much lesser extent vi) keybindings into my
head and I don't want to let them go.

The web is a great publishing medium.  And a decent minor input
medium.  But it is NOT a good way to do serious data entry, even with
the rise of the AJAX programming model, etc.

This is why I still use flat text files in a directory to store my
notes and such.  No, I don't RCS them.  No, I can't browse them on the
web.  But I can grep and edit very quickly and they have the info I
need.

So maybe what I'm saying is that I want an emacs wiki client, without
the web browser (w3m?) insanity/overhead.

John