[BBLISA] oracle on linux

miah miah at chia-pet.org
Thu Oct 6 12:58:22 EDT 2005

It works fine, but avoid ASM and follow the docs, you need to do lots of
non-standard things (lots of tweaking of sysctl).  In my experience
Oracle has just been a pain no matter if it was running on Solaris or
Linux (compared to other DB's).  There are several howto's about
installing Oracle on Redhat and other distro's that cover most of the
changes you need to make.  The thing that really bugs me is it requires
X and java to install.  Generally I don't install X on servers, and when
I've had to do Oracle I've had to change that.  Maybe its possible to
install without X/Java, but IANAODBA. =)  If you're going production
environment, you should probably go with one of the Redhat AS setups, or
SuSE since both are "certified" to run Oracle.

-miah