[BBLISA] suggestions on AC

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Oct 5 17:58:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Eddy Harvey wrote:

> Looking for advice --
>
> I am looking for a cooling solution (below $1000) to a very small server
> room in an office building in Concord MA.
> Thus far, I am looking at portable air conditioners, approx 9000 btu, which
> will evaporate the condensation and expel it with the exhaust.

Walmart had portable Sunbeam 9000 btu units for $327.00 this summer. They are
about the size of a small or medium-sized garbage can, and look rather like
R2-D2.  I bought one (on impulse, so cheap, couldn't go wrong), and used it to
supplment a slightly hot colo facility over the hot months. Worked great. The
unit had builtin humidifier that got rid of the condensation so I didn't even
have to pump or carry.

I went back for another (they're small and cheap), but they were gone.

Sunbeam carries larger units I'm told, but Walmart didn't get them. 15 or 20Kbtu
would be more interesting.

> I am planning to run the exhaust hose to the ceiling duct.

This is dubious. You'll dump the heat into your roof condenser, which is
probably overloaded already.  I installed a 6inch dryer-type vent in the outside
wall.  These have a one-way flap, so that (like your house dryer), air only goes
out.

> Anybody have any personal experience with these units, or know someone in
> the Concord area to ask?
>
> Most of the online reviews are negative, so I'm hesitant.
>
> Thanks for any advice!

617 344 9000