[BBLISA] Ethernet Mixed Frame sizes on one net

bblisa at richfox.org bblisa at richfox.org
Thu Nov 17 18:43:10 EST 2005

Hi,

I am preparing a high performance (well for our budget anyways) NFS
server. It's a dual 3Ghz Xeon with 4GB RAM and will have an 3.5TB XServe
RAID hanging off of it via copper fibre.

My intention is to use a quad port Intel Pro/1000 MT 4 port NIC ethernet
bonded as a single interface running jumbo frames, most likely running
a spartan Fedora Core 4 optimized for nfs.
The question is: Can I mix  frame sizes on the same net, ie. run regular
and jumbo frames?
Another technical person here was under the impression that it wouldn't
work properly. (FWIW, the switch will be a 3Com 3870, itself with
aggregated links to other 3Com 3824s, a 3848, and an old 4400, where many
of the nfs clients will be.)

This will be exporting nfs shares to both jumbo enabled and non jumbo
enabled systems. I may be able to segregate all non-jumbo fram enabled
machines off of this particular network segment (have them come in on a
different NIC). Indeed, it's what I will do if I receive negative

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with this?

Thanks,
Rich.