[BBLISA] Win XP Backup software?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Mon Jun 27 15:13:44 EDT 2005

Carl Alexander <xela at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I have a related question but (I think) not the same one.  I'm
> new to Windows (well, using it again for the first time after
> 16 years as a Mac and Unix geek).  I have a Windows XP system
> that I want to swap disks in.  My one odd requirement is I want
> to swap in a _smaller_ disk.  (It's only using about 12GB of disk,
> and will never, ever need more than 2x that; I have a spare 40GB
> drive and a useful place to put the 250GB drive that's in the
> XP machine.)  Windows users I've spoken too seem to think doing
> this would require either black magic or some commercial software.
> Is this really that hard?

Partition Magic is the cannonical program for doing this kind of thing,
and it will do what you want, but it's a commerical program.  It
normally costs $60, but there are vendors on Amazon that seem to sell it
for $16.

There are freeware programs that claim to do the same thing.  I haven't
used any of them, but Google turned up Ntfsresize, which claims to be
solid:

   http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

Here's a list of some more:

   http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml