[BBLISA] Win XP Backup software?

Carl Alexander xela at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 25 23:12:00 EDT 2005

> I am looking for a free alternative to Ghost, that handles NTFS.  Of
> course, incremental backups would be an awesome bonus.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Personal experience, please.....
>
> (I see tons of things available, but I don't want to try them all.  I
> want to start with a few personal suggestions, and only try a few.)

I have a related question but (I think) not the same one.  I'm
new to Windows (well, using it again for the first time after
16 years as a Mac and Unix geek).  I have a Windows XP system
that I want to swap disks in.  My one odd requirement is I want
to swap in a _smaller_ disk.  (It's only using about 12GB of disk,
and will never, ever need more than 2x that; I have a spare 40GB
drive and a useful place to put the 250GB drive that's in the
XP machine.)  Windows users I've spoken too seem to think doing
this would require either black magic or some commercial software.
Is this really that hard?

---Alex