[BBLISA] Tape backup program for Debian?

Douglas Alan nessus at mit.edu
Mon Jun 20 14:47:59 EDT 2005

Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no plans to do any network activity for this backup.

> All my searches of local backup options haven't been too fruitful.

> Additional insights welcome.

Any solution that can handle backuping up 50 computers over a network to
one tape drive can handle the more simple case of backing up a single
computer to a local tape drive.  Sure, something like Amanda may be
overkill for your purposes, but if you are intent on backup up to tape,
rather than to disk, I'd still go with Amanda (assuming you want a free
solution) anyway, as you can easily expand it to handle more complex
cases if you ultimately need to.  Alternatively, there is nothing wrong
with tar or dump, if that's all you will ever need.