[BBLISA] Tape backup program for Debian?

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Sat Jun 18 10:31:26 EDT 2005

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I have a Compaq Proliant ML350 D02/F02 server with a Compaq Smart
> Array 431 Controller set as RAID 5 with three 18 Gig drives (35 Gig
> total)  and a Compaq SDT-9000 12/24G Compaq DAT tape drive.
> The machine will be used as the office intranet web server.
>
> I just installed the Sarge stable distribution of Debian on it and am
> looking for recommendations for a tape backup package/method.  I am
> familiar with tar and cron, but want to explore recommended
> options/alternatives.  The goal would be to perform a full backup, then
> incrementals.

Last year I was stuck in the position of implementing a backup system at a
company that had none. I had the problem of wanting to be certain my tape
drive was supported. I couldn't find any freeware that was up to the task.
But I was happy when I found tapeware - it's not free, but is a really
great program. You can try it for free though. Give it a shot!