[BBLISA] 3des vs blowfish for ssh?

Ben Eisenbraun bene at klatsch.org
Wed Jan 12 16:47:10 EST 2005

Dean Anderson wrote:
> I don't think we have any genuine encryption experts, so its hard to say
> which is really better.  3des is still used by banks.  If I recall,
> Blowfish (or perhaps its IDEA or both) is patented.

"Blowfish was designed in 1993 by Bruce Schneier as a fast, free
alternative to existing encryption algorithms. [..] Blowfish is
unpatented and license-free, and is available free for all uses."

from: http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html

'man ssh' notes that blowfish is much faster than 3des.

Note also that any reasonably modern and published encryption scheme is
unlikely to be the weak link in your security.

-b

--
you never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.
                                                         <william blake>