[BBLISA] Data recovery lessons?

Arthur Gaer gaer at math.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:02:55 EST 2005

I've swapped disk controllers myself in the past, to good results.

However, I attended a talk at the most recent LISA conference where it was
mentioned, as an aside, that this technique was no longer possible with
the newest model hard drives.  Apparently the controllers themselves now
contain information particular to the actual drive and media it contains
(such as bad blocks and the like) and as a result swapping controller
cards usually just won't work anymore.

Just a warning for when you start pulling out that Torx bit.  It might
work, especially with an older drive (if you can find its identical
twin)... but I gather the odds are against you, now.

Arthur Gaer
gaer at math.harvard.edu

Senior Systems Manager, Department of Mathematics
Harvard University, 617-495-1610, FAX: 617-495-5132