[BBLISA] Good way to recover Linux server

Eddy Harvey bblisa at nedharvey.com
Sun Aug 14 11:59:01 EDT 2005

There are several major problems I can see with using dd as a backup
tool --

- Because you are backing up the "free space" as well as the space
occupied by the files, your backup will take extra long time.
- You cannot do incremental backups.
- Because you are backing up a system that is currently booted and
operating, you are likely to miss important data that isn't always
written to disk.  For example, if you run a mysql server, the updates to
the data in the database happen in realtime, yet the database file as
written to disk is not necessarily usable at all, let alone up-to-date.
- You are required to restore onto a disk with the same geometry, and it
is often nice to alleviate yourself from this restriction.

There is one, very common oversight by people doing backups of their
system --

Simply using tar, or dd, or dump is not necessarily good enough.  You
have to understand what applications are running, and follow that
application's recommended backup procedure.  The best example I can
think of is mysql.  Before backing up your system, if you run mysql, I
would suggest running mysqldump to put the latest data into a file, and
then run dump to backup the files.  When you restore, you would use
"restore" and then when you start the mysqld, you would need to
re-import the mysqldump file.

Sharon, I hate to say it (because it is a lot of work) but I think the
best backup method is this --

- First backup your applications to file, if applicable for the
applications that you run.
- Then backup the FS using dump

When you need to restore,

- Boot a rescue CD or install a minimal partition of a secondary linux
- Repartition & format
- Mount the destination partition and Run restore
- Install the bootloader
- Boot the OS that you are restoring.
- Restore the applications, if applicable.