[BBLISA] Good way to recover Linux server

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Wed Aug 10 14:16:07 EDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 12:44:32PM -0400, snagao wrote:
> I am looking for a good way to recover a RHEL ES3 server - especially in a DR scenario.  For my AIX servers, I use the mksysb utility to make a bootable image of the OS.
>
> I know Linux doesn't have anything equivalent to AIX's mksysb command, but can someone please recommend a tool or method for me to back up the OS and recover it quickly for DR testing?

I don't know of a "all in one" utility off the top of my head, I've always
either done dump or more likely tar of the files.  Then on bare metal
recovery, you just boot into a rescue CD, make the partitions and filesystems,
untar, reinstall the boot loader, reboot.

Alternately, have proper backups of your data, then have a kickstart image (or
some such) to reinstall a new machine from scratch, then restore your data.

Theo Van Dinter, tvd at bblisa.org/felicity at kluge.net
Systems Administrator, bblisa.org/kluge.net