[BBLISA] Kind of moving to Boston

Luke A. Kanies luke at madstop.com
Fri Sep 24 22:52:06 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Dima wrote:

> I am personaly walking or biking to my office;
> it's three miles. There are days when I am afraid
> of doing it. Like after and during strong rain and
> after snowfall.

Yeah, I definitely expect to have those days.  It's looking somewhat
likely that I'll either have a car or end up on public transportation an
hour each way, which might be preferable to a car.

> Also, my office has a shower which I can use when
> I get there. Does yours?

Probably not, but I'm not really willing to let that stop me.  I mean,
they might; I don't really know.  I sweat like the dickens here in the
humid South, and I'm just used to bringing changes of clothing and extra
oderizers.

> Our roads are winding and narrow, drivers are fast
> and furious and ice is thick and long-lasting (in
> winter time). Use your bike, but keep car
> handy. There are no sidewalks in many places.

If I were moving up in November, I'd be coming with a car.  As it is, I
figure I can at least try to survive on a bike for a while and see where
that lands me.  Worse gets to worst, I buy a car and deal.  Hopefully I
can be on a decent transit line and not have to worry about the bad days,
though -- I've done hour-long public transit commutes before, and they
were still preferable to driving (that was in Portland, OR, which
actually doesn't have bad traffic).

--
A diplomat is a man who can convince his wife she'd look stout in a fur
coat.