[BBLISA] Kind of moving to Boston

K.M.Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.COM
Fri Sep 24 19:05:45 EDT 2004

Tabor made a good point when reponding to Luke:

 > On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:19:28AM -0500,
 > Luke A. Kanies <luke at madstop.com> is thought to have said:
 >
 >> Either way, I need to find a place to kind-of live.  I figure it
makes
 >> the
 >> most sense to find a house looking for housemates.  I'll be working
in
 >> Waltham, but I plan on trying to live without a car, so I'd like to
live
 >> somewhere slightly more central than Waltham -- I'm thinking
something
 >> no
 >> more than 3-5 miles from Waltham, preferably pretty directly East so
 >> that
 >> it's close to just about everything.

[snip]

saying:

 > Well, honestly it can be kind of hard to work in Waltham without a
car.
 > The
 > area where all of the tech companies inhabit is kind of spread out and
 > filled with office parks near I-95. If you're a biker it's probably
not a
 > big deal, but we're also coming up on the winter season which could
make
 > things pretty difficult w/o a car.

And I'd add:

It's really challenging living outside of the central core without a
car.

I'm not even sure that Watertown is a good bet.  It's served by a
number of bus lines, but your "single seat" rides to the core on the
bus are limited to Harvard Square or Kenmore Square.  The density there
isn't quite enough to support being able to do all of your errands on
foot or bike, IMO.

I think that you may want to stick to a zone of within 10 minutes walk
of a rapid transit line (referred to by their color here).  You get a
great deal of range with a choice like that; downtown is one "seat
trip" and you often have more than one route to use to get to a
destination.

I'd also point out that riding in the winter isn't solely an issue of
the cold (I'm fairly immune to that myself) but a lack of daylight, the
danger of heavy traffic on non bicycle-friendly roads (like the
Prospect Hill area) and weather with freezing precip - add that
together and you have a very hazardous and wearing lifestyle for nearly
a third of the year.

I would suggest Somerville.  Much more urban than Watertown, has a
nightlife, and the Davis Square area is on the Red Line.  Probably most
affordable area in that general direction (although parts of East
Arlington are only about 15 minute walk from the Red Line, and a hotbed
of cycling activity).

A couple more things.  First, there isn't really a good riding route in
my experience to the Prospect Hill environs from the East.  I may be
wrong, but this is one of those places where all traffic from the East
goes on one nasty road.  Most all traffic from North and South are on
128/I-95, and it all comes together in one big intersection that can be
very... interesting.  As far as I know, there is not a "direct" route
from the East that I'd want to commute on.

I believe at one point there was a shuttle from Alewife (Red Line) to
that area - see http://www.128bc.org/shuttles/s-route3x.html .

Finally, should you move to a reasonably high-density area near the
core, there's a car sharing service that I've joined called Zipcar -
see http://www.zipcar.com - that's likely going to let me dump my car
entirely.  Seems to work very well, and their web-based reservation
systems are kinda cool, too...

Note this is all written from the prospect of someone who has tried to
remain living in an interesting place (Brookline, in my case) while
dealing with commutes to less-interesting places (Amherst, NH;
Framingham, Lexington, Burlington, Bedford, Billerica, Quincy, and yes,
Waltham, Mass.).  If the work is really at the center of your life,
then you should by all means try to find a place in Waltham and
eliminate your commute, but if not then I urge you to find a place more
to your liking to live.  You're cutting off a chunk to go without a
car, just make sure it's the _right_ chunk.

_KMP