[BBLISA] Training recomendations sought.

Tabor J. Wells twells at fsckit.net
Thu Sep 16 09:28:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:10:05AM -0400,
Michael C Tiernan <mtiernan at tota.net> is thought to have said:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for good UNIX SysAdmin/Engineer
> training classes?
>
> I don't know that I'm interested but my company is looking for a list of
> possible things we may be interested in pursuing and I was thinking that
> getting a certification of some form (Solaris/RedHat/etc.) might be a
> good idea.

Disclosure: I have no certifications in anything. :)

Well it depends on what good means to you. There are a lot of places
which look at certifications as must haves even though the quality of the
cert itself isn't that "good" (which I define as "not very rigorous"). When
I've hired people, I haven't put that much stock in certs because I'd rather
hire someone that had a clear ability to think on their feet and learn on
their own. In a lot of cases I think the only thing certs tell you is that
someone remembered something long enough to pass the test.

That having been said, IMO the Solaris certs don't have much meaning to
them -- at least based on the interviews I've given to some of the people
who had them. I've been told that the RedHat certifications are much more
thorough (Disclosure #2: I'm actually being sent to do a RHCE course and
cert next month -- if there's still interest in this topic I'll follow up with
impressions). Cisco certs have traditionally carried a lot of weight as well.

HTH

Tabor
Tabor J. Wells                                     twells at fsckit.net
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality