[BBLISA] Diskspace monitoring suggestions.

John Stoffel stoffel at lucent.com
Tue Sep 14 16:23:09 EDT 2004

stephen> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Michael C Tiernan wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun September 12 2004 17:45, Dean Anderson wrote:
>> >  > It depends on what you mean by 'monitoring'.
>> > Thank you for replying (everyone).
>> >
>> > I'm being asked[1] for:
>> >  2) An X-Y graph of part of a file system, preferably, one graph
>> >     for each user (10+/-) space showing use and change.
>> >     Realistically, this should be done (for some, and thereby
>> >     preferably all, of the users) once an hour.  This is the hard
>> >     one.  Some of the users have SO much space that a 'du' (we
>>
>> "quota -v" is what you want. Just for curiosities sake, I did:
>>
>> cd /home;quota -v * >/tmp/file.foo

stephen> close, but a better way might be to use quot(8) (or quot(1M),
stephen> depending on the system):

Quot doesn't work (at least on my solaris boxes) on anything but UFS
filesystems.

What he really wants is to be able to get emailed an hourly quota
report from the filer (god knows why you care about space on an hourly
basis) which can be parsed and then filtered as need be.

If the admins of the NetApp won't work with him, then I'd just
threaten to run multiple DU commands from multiple clients all at the
same time to bring the box to it's knees.  Then when that admins
complain, point them to the boss and say "he/she wanted it like this,
talk to them".  And then sit back and watch the merry discussion.

I'd bring popcorn.

Basically, you should already have quotas on your trouble users, and
they can manage their disk space themselves.  When they can't write
any more data, they're out of space.  Presto, they then get to
cleanup.

John