[BBLISA] Diskspace monitoring suggestions.

Sean Lutner sean at rentul.net
Tue Sep 14 10:23:48 EDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 09:26:12PM -0400, Jeff Wasilko wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 06:39:12PM -0400, Michael C Tiernan wrote:
> > On Sun September 12 2004 17:45, Dean Anderson wrote:
> >  > It depends on what you mean by 'monitoring'.
> > Thank you for replying (everyone).
> >
> > You're right, I didn't define it clearly enough, sorry about that.
> >
> > I'm being asked[1] for:
> >  1) A simple X-Y graph of disk usage (major file system mount point)
> >     over time. This is the easy one. Do a 'df' and run it through a
> >     quick script then once an hour a gnuplot is generated of the
> >     numbers.
>
> You might want to go grab Orca from
>
> http://www.orcaware.com/orca/example_sites.html
>
> It has the data gathering & graphing stuff already. I think it
> supports Linux now, and was written for Solaris.

orca was written to accompany the SEToolkit, which is what you really want if these machines are Solaris hosts. Blair (who wrote orca, wrote a bunch of custom se code)

You could also do what you want with cricket, which can monitor anything SNMP (including disk space usage.

don't waste your time with du or df or quota variants, you'll onlyt wind up wishing you hadn't.