[BBLISA] 1U servers needed

Carl Alexander xela at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 8 17:01:52 EST 2004

> Hi, there,
>
> Quite unexpectedly, I need to build a
> computational cluster. Something like Beouwulf.
> To do that I need to purchase (or perhaps lease)
> about 20 1U number crunchers. I think I need
> Opteron machines (not quite a common thing yet) or
> other high-end processors.
>
> I would prefer a reputable place, which will do
> warranty job if need be and perhaps will install
> Linux (64-bit for Opteron). Burn-in for a week or
> so would be very nice.
>
> Does anybody know such place? Does it exist?

I have been _very_ happy for several years now with Net Express
(www.tdl.com/~netex).  They're a small systems integrator out
of the Bay area; they've been at this a long time, and they
know their stuff.  I don't believe they lease (but then I've
never asked), and IIRC they usually do 2 days of burn-in (but
I bet they'd do a week if you asked).  Other than that, I
believe they meet all your requirements.

---Carl Alexander