[BBLISA] Help with Procmail?

Theo Van Dinter felicity at kluge.net
Mon May 31 15:15:33 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 12:15:14PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have discovered that the headers of legit emails contain a line:
>
> What is the safest way to filter on a variable (Status) which has no
> value?

Three things.

1) "Status: R" is from your MUA when, IIRC, you read a message.
Messages do not typically come in with a Status line already.

2) if you want some statistics, of the 25k spams I received on the 29th,
9 of them have a Status header, probably because they were opened for
some reason.  that's roughly 0.03%.  it's roughly the same value for
the last week, btw.  if I look at my backup incoming mail folder, which
skips a large percentage of the incoming spam, the percentage of "has
Status header" rises to ~0.25%, but I do usually end up going through
there and reading/replying to mails, so ...

3) If you want to make a rule to catch a blank header, you could do
something like:

:0
* ^Status:[ ]*$

Which will match if there is a Status line with no value section, but
in this case I wouldn't bother since you're not going to hit anything.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Ad