[BBLISA] 1U and colocation

Steven M Jones bblisa-in at crash.com
Fri Mar 19 14:00:55 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 13:28, Dima wrote:

> 1. What is a best way to get inexpensive 19" 1U
> rack-mountavble machine? New or used one will be
> fine, it's just a tiny webserver and even tinier
> mailserver.

I've been having fun with Intel ISP1100's. They're
cheap 1U boxes, typically $150 on eBay, with real rail
kits going for under $30. Serial BIOS access, which I
wanted a lot for remote admin.

I was going to say more about them, but I just checked
eBay. There are plenty of much newer and faster boxes
offered for $500. P4 Celerons, or dual PIII's, fully
outfitted and ready to go. So, forget the ISP1100 ;^)
Just search the Networking->Servers section for "1U
Intel" and you should be all set.

Good luck,
--Steve.