[BBLISA] Firewall question #2

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Fri Mar 12 10:49:49 EST 2004

I covered that.  I said it's a harder problem to write a virus that
attacks a generic router.  Zone alarm is easier since you already
control the box you are on.  The whole idea here is to set the just a
little bit higher than the next guy.

I didn't say it couldn't be done just zone alarm is on the box, easier
to disable.

An early internet worm was compiled against the socks interface (I as I
recall) so it could get backout though a filter.

As for quality, yes some are preaty bad.  I had a bad experance with
Linksys (I won't buy there gear anymore.)  But in general I've been
happy with the current generation of Netgear.

johno