[BBLISA] Sun terminal servers

Bob Webber webber at panix.com
Thu Jun 3 14:00:39 EDT 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 12:15 PM, Jeff Wasilko wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 12:04:33PM -0400, Betsy Schwartz wrote:
>> What do you all like for Sun console servers? And what are your
>> thoughts on
>> the linux-based servers?
>>

>> Absolute requirements:
>>    SSH2 and some ability to patch /flash/upgrade holes
>>    Do The Right Thing for Sun Breaks (send deliberate, don't send
>> unintentional)
>>    100 Mps
>>    graceful recovery after power outage
>>
>> Optional but useful:
>>    LDAP/other network authentication aware (highest)
>>    power management (or could do separately)
>>    secure OOB dialup access
>>    linux inside?
>>    GigE upgrade-able
>
> I'd look at the Cyclades boxes. I think they cover everything
> except power management. They'll do RADIUS for network auth:
>
> http://www.cyclades.com/products/

Hi, Betsy.

Another option would be a Cyclades Ze card (or some other multiport
serial card) in a 5 V PCI bus (for the Cyclades Ze) Intel box, in which
case you could run Linux or FreeBSD and just install conserver.

The box Jeff is talking about is a Cyclades Alterpath or "ACS."

We just had Cyclades in here at Tufts USG this morning, and they'll do
LDAP as well as RADIUS authentication and even have a mode for trying
LDAP first, then failing to the local password file if the LDAP server
does not respond (but not if the LDAP server rejects the authentication
attempt).  It's a Linux box with PAM.

Cyclcades also offers power management boxes, can do dialback on a
PCMCIA modem card (doesn't support a modem on RS-232) and many other
useful things.

Also doesn't do 1000BASE-T, so far as I could see.

Cyclades claims to patch security holes within a couple of days of
their disclosure -- presumably faster if they find them themselves.

Bob