[BBLISA] Question about Network analysis tools

Eric Smith eric.smith at ascentialsoftware.com
Fri Jan 9 10:28:01 EST 2004

     Personally, my general complain about the site is the language and
its ability to seem like it was testing lots of ports when it never said
what it was testing (and from that writeup it tested very little.)  If I
had BackOrifice on my system, I expected the first version I saw of
Shields Up! to detect it.  That is how it presents itself.  Assuming
that article was correct, it wouldn't.  Misrepresentation in the area of
computer security is really bad.
     From your comment below Shields Up! has changed, so I went back to
the site and looked again.  Happily, the site has been expanded
substantially, both in wording and functionality.  I still dislike some
of the writing style and tone on that web site, but at first look it
seems to actually do something more along the lines of what it talks
about doing.  It no longer says something to the effect of "I am going
to scan your computer for open ports" and then only check the ports
having to do with windows file shares.  That was just wrong and made you
feel safe when you actually don't know if you were.

     Eric