[BBLISA] Oracle certification for beginner

Betsy Schwartz betsys at gsd.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 5 10:14:42 EST 2004

I think a lot depends on your personal learning style.

Me, I find that the momentum of a class tends to help me learn the most -
it's the combination of scheduling, having structured problems to work on
with deadlines, and having the instructor for questions and in-depth
explanations. Plus you usually get access to a decent computer system with
a full-powered version of the software installed.

CBT is more like a guided tour - it is OK for learning what features exist
but I don't find myself recalling that much in-depth  material afterwards.
It has to be a pretty good CBT course to beat a good book.

And a not-to-be-discounted feature of a university: you *meet* people. Then
you all go out into the world and network with each other. NU may have some
good job resources (if they let the night students at them)

At 09:46 AM 1/3/2004 -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>Does it make sense for me to proceed with the NU class with the hopes I'll
>learn from the ground-up, or should I cancel it (class starts Sat, Jan 10
>and runs 11 weeks, each class is 8:30 - 5) and pursue computer-based
>training (aka/or self-paced) of Intro to SQL and Intro to Oracle 9i, and
>even CBT for the NU classes, and see how things go?

Betsy Schwartz                                                    email:
betsys at gsd.harvard.edu
Unix Systems Administrator,CRG                           voice: 617-495-5947
Harvard Graduate School of Design                         fax:    617-496-5866