[BBLISA] Help with .htaccess file

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Aug 3 19:44:20 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I have my domain name hosted with pair.com, who uses apache 1.3.29 on
> freebsd boxes.
>
> I want to either:
>
> 1) Use a .htaccess file to prevent any web crawlers/robots from gaining
> access to one or more directories off my public_html folder

web crawlers and robots can be cooperatively controled with robot.txt. The
format of robots.txt is standardized, but it is cooperative, in the sense
that someone can ignore it. However, the search sites respect this.  This
isn't really security, so if you have something that must be strictly
confidential this isn't good.  But if you just don't want the document
showing up on google, its ok.

Caching is another issue. To stop web caches from caching documents you
have to set an expiration date in the document attributes. I'd refer you
to the apache documentation on www.apache.org for instructions on how to
do this.

		--Dean