[BBLISA] Help with .htaccess file

Scott Ehrlich scott at ehrlichtronics.com
Mon Aug 2 19:24:38 EDT 2004

I have my domain name hosted with pair.com, who uses apache 1.3.29 on
freebsd boxes.

I want to either:

1) Use a .htaccess file to prevent any web crawlers/robots from gaining
access to one or more directories off my public_html folder

2) Use SSL to do the same

I do not have access to the apache config file, so I presume the .htaccess
would do fine.

Please remind me of the syntax for the .htaccess to at least prevent
robots from caching the files, or, better yet (I think), permitting ssl
connectivity.  Ideally, if I could be shown both (.htaccess and ssl), if
one doesn't work right, I'll try the other.

Also, if someone could show me how to test the implementation, that would
be most helpful, too.

Thanks.

Scott