[BBLISA] co-location

jco jco at direwolf.com
Mon Apr 5 09:50:43 EDT 2004

Mark Allyn wrote:

>As far as I can remember, the Fawcet data center was not considered
>a 'temporary' facility. This, in fact, at least as of the time I
>left, was kind of the 'Mother' of all of the data centers. I think
>it was the largest of all of them. It was pretty well built and
>had good backup power and security. It was well laid out; with
>racks nicely labeled. It usualy took me only minutes to find
>a machine. There was decent room in the front/rear of the racks
>to do work.

I don't know when you left in 2000, but when we built out the Fawcett
street place it wasn't by any standard the largest data center.  It was
the order of 60 customer racks.  Mountain View was MUCH larger, it was 4
10k sqft DCs.  And when I was working on opening Cambridge-2, Mid 2000,
it was labeled temporary.

They only opened it because Cambridge-1 (cambma1, I think that is the
code we used for it) was full.  Which I suspect is the one you are
thinking of in 10 Moulton Street.  Not cambma2 which was in 70
Fawcett.   I don't think we had provisioned any customers by the time I
left into Cambma2.

>I've been gone since 2000. I don't know what's happened since.

I left in late 2000.   We where opening Mountain View, Cambridge2, and
Chantilly durning mid 2000.   We had a new spec called 'Voyager' we
where building to.

johno