[BBLISA-announce] Feb Slides, March anouncement and April ideas

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Sat Mar 5 11:05:42 EST 2016

Hello Everybody:

A number of people asked for the slides and spreadsheet from the February
talk. They can be found at:

  http://www.bblisa.org/past.html

     http://www.bblisa.org/slides/201602-williams.pdf
     http://www.bblisa.org/slides/201602-williams.xlsx

I am happy to announce that our March speaker will be David Blank-Edelman
who will be speaking on:

    How Can You Scale It If You Don't Trust It?

When you scale up an infrastructure it is crucial that you can trust
you have the right resources in play, the right code deployed and that
information can only flow in a secure manner. When you scale the
organization, trust is required amongst all of the people responsible
for coding, testing, deploying and managing the applications that
power the business.

With all of the chatter around scaling, you would think someone would
have told you the key ingredient necessary for creating and fostering
the required trust. Unfortunately it is very easy to get to the end of
the diving board, right on the edge of jumping into something like a
hybrid cloud deployment, before you realize you need to figure this
out on your own.

This talk can help. We'll discuss some concrete ways you can engineer
trust into the system (complete with examples) you are building or
operating so that it works well for cloud-native and legacy
applications. By the end, you?ll have a good idea of the
decision/enforcement points you?ll need to consider to be able to
create a system (and an organization) that can scale.

David is the Technical Evangelist at Apcera. He has spent thirty years
in the systems administration/DevOps/SRE field in large multiplatform
environments including Brandeis University, Cambridge Technology
Group, MIT Media Laboratory and Northeastern University. He is the
author of the O'Reilly Otter book (Automating System Administration
with Perl) and is a frequent invited speaker/organizer for conferences
in the field. David is honored to serve on the USENIX Board of
Directors. He prefers to pronounce Evangelist with a hard 'g'.

The talk will happen on Wednesday, March 9, 2016 in MIT E-51, Room 145
7:00 - Announcements & Introductions
7:30 - Formal presentation

Also I have nobody booked for April and my contacts have so far run
dry. If anybody has some ideas, wants to present etc. let me know.

Look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.
--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard