[BBLISA-announce] April Meeting and BBLISA is on meetup

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Sun Apr 3 18:14:12 EDT 2016

Hi all:

Our April talk will be by Jeff Darcy on:

   Evaluating Distributed File System Performance

The first part of this talk will cover general issues such as the
effect of different workloads, measurement pitfalls, and common cheats
used by storage vendors.

The second part will introduce common tools such as fio and IOzone to
measure storage performance.

In the third part, Jeff will demonstrate how to set up and test a
popular distributed file systems using these tools, and how to analyze
results. Most importantly, attendees will learn to recognize anomalies
in their own tests, or misleading results from others', so that they
can get an accurate picture of each system's capabilities and
limitations.

Jeff Darcy has been working on distributed storage since 1989, when
that meant DECnet and NFSv2. Since then he has played a significant
role in the development of clustered file systems, continuous data
protection, and other areas. He is currently a developer at Red Hat,
with the rare opportunity to work on two open-source distributed file
systems - GlusterFS and Ceph - at once.

It will be held on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
at MIT building/room E51-145.

Thanks to Nick C, who will be taking over for me, BBLISA is also listed
on meetup:

   http://www.meetup.com/BBLISA/

You can get more info about the BBLISA slack channel from this page as
well.

This meeting is announced at

  http://www.meetup.com/BBLISA/events/229760009/

as well as at the usual http://www.bblisa.org.