[BBLISA-announce] Oct BBLISA meeting Wednesday: Managing cloud costs and technical requirements

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Oct 13 08:52:24 EDT 2015

Hello Everybody:

Our October speaker will be Dewey Sasser, a cloud solutions architect
for a major gaming company.

He will be speaking about:

     Managing cloud costs and technical requirements when every
         engineer is an admin
     or
         Herding Cats in the Cloud

How do you keep your sanity when most developers can log in to your
cloud console and create/destroy/manipulate resources? How do you
implement policies and procedures when you have many developers doing
different things with different tooling and the lowest common manager
is the CEO? Traditional methods of creating policies and procedures
managed by a small operations group will not work -- these are
barriers to agility and velocity which industry trends are actively
attacking. Dewey will present a set of practices and tools for
managing DevOps with staff responsibilities ranging from pure
development to pure operations and responsibilities to manage multiple
products experiencing multiple thousands of TPS.

Dewey Sasser is a distributed systems software architect who
accidentally wondered into operations near the beginning of the DevOps
movement. He is currently working as a Cloud Solutions Architect for a
major gaming company.

Details at http://bblisa.org.

The talk will be held on:

  Wednesday October 14, 2015 at MIT