[BBLISA-announce] DocRev - A crowd-sourced platform for reviewing documents

Nuno Diegues diegues.nuno at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 04:24:41 EST 2015

I wish to present a platform that I have developed, motivated by my own
experience as a PhD student:

DocRev - www.docrev.org

Briefly, *the idea is to transfer the effort of reviewing documents to a
crowd-sourced platform*: a user provides feedback to other users'
documents, and in return obtains feedback for his own documents.

My motivation stems from "yet another review" of a research paper of my own
that I had already read many times for re-submission. At the time I was
already so fed up of reading it that I'd rather read someone else's work
instead, hoping that another person would instead read my own work.
Not only would that be refreshing, not to be reading always the same thing
and maybe learn something new, but it would also be way more productive to
catch problems in the document with a fresh pair of eyes.

In fact, this is just a use case specific to research, but I believe the
concept is applicable to any area and types of documents.
Examples:

- Sending a formal letter to a lawyer, which requires familiarity with
certain terms. Why not ask a law student or even a young lawyer to look at
it in exchange for our own expertise?

- Maybe you wrote a blog post or some meaningful content and would like to
get some feedback before publishing it.

- You have some work in progress in a specific area for which you know no
one and would love some feedback.

- Camera-ready research papers, which you have read countless times, but
that probably still have some bugs/typos.

- You are sending an application to a job offer / grant / project, and
would love a review of it.

If you are still reading, then I really encourage you to try it out:

DocRev - www.docrev.org

Also, feel free to spread this around to your acquaintances!