[BBLISA-announce] [BBLISA] Article on testing sysadmin scripts

Dave Allan dave at dpallan.com
Wed Apr 8 14:11:24 EDT 2015

Geez, what an idiot ;)

Seriously, well said, all around.  Your point that writing tests makes you approach writing software differently and leads to better code is really key, and one of those truths like "dealing with time and date is hard" that really has to be experienced to be believed.  Every time I write tests I find that there is much to improve in my code under test, some of it actual behavioral bugs, some of it structural or stylistic, some of it unclear or erroneous assumptions, but I never would have found any of it without taking the time to write the tests.

Dave