[BBLISA-announce] Wednesday 08 October 2014 Meeting - Project Atomic

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Oct 7 21:14:13 EDT 2014

Hello all:

Our October meeting will be held on:

  Wednesday, October 8, 2014

at MIT E-51, room 149 starting at 7:00 with Announcements &
Introductions and the formal presentation will start at 7:30.

The talk will be given by Colin Walters and is titled:

    Project Atomic: Server OS and app container delivery with Docker
                    and OSTree

For many years, "traditional packaging" has been the default method
for software delivery and management on Unix systems; exemplified by
dpkg, RPM, and similar systems.

Project Atomic is a pattern that can be applied to a traditional
distribution (for example, Fedora, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux),
bringing together several upstream components: SELinux, Linux kernel
containers, Docker, (RPM-)OSTree, and orchestration frameworks such as
geard and Kubernetes.

This talk will explore the details of all of these technologies, with
a particular focus on the RPM-OSTree side, which provides atomic
upgrades and rollbacks for bare metal operating systems For example,
we'll look at why /home is a symlink to /var/home on an Atomic system,
and how configuration files in /etc are carried forward on upgrades in
a fully atomic fashion.

Colin Walters is a Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat in the Server
Experience group. He is the upstream author of OSTree, and has
contributed to a variety of Free Software projects, such as Emacs,
systemd, GNOME, OpenEmbedded, and both Debian and Fedora packaging.

I hope you see you at the talk.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard