[BBLISA-announce] BBLISA recap and March announcement

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Feb 27 19:03:02 EST 2013

Hi all:

We had a very interesting discussion and presentation by Tony Rudie
who discussed how they replaced two aging NIS domains with Active
Directory using Centrify. He presented how Centrify maps uid/gid into
AD and how support for automount maps operates. He also discussed:

   * How to design (and not design) your zones to handle the
      mapping of administrative controls
   * The issues with rolling out Centrify on a per host rather
     than a per user basis
   * The importance of bulletproof deployment (and undeployment) scripts
   * Issues with integrating existing Kerberos domains into AD
   * How to make you AD admins feel comfortable with the way Centrify
     changes the AD configuration.

Adam and I would once again like to thank Tony for volunteering to
present and encourage the members of bblisa to contact either of us if
you have something interesting that you are working on. If you don;t
have enough material for the entire time we can pair or triple you
up with other members and have a multiple billed meeting.

Speaking of new meetings, our March meeting will be presented by Dan Hermes
and titled:

  Mastering Human Communication Patterns for Techies

  Missed human connections in the software industry account for most of
  our project failures. Improving communication can dramatically improve
  individual and team performance. Typical frustrations:

    They just don't get it
    They talked at you for an hour and made no sense
    That meeting was like a construction committee for the Tower of Babel

It will be held at 7PM in MIT E-51, Room 149 on lucky Wednesday March 13.

I look forward to seeing you there.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard